Saturday, January 20, 2007

Weekend recap


For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the women's retreat. Our speaker blew my mind. What she said, though it touched me, didn't rock my world. Instead, it confirmed in me so many things that God has spoken into my life recently. And that is a cool thing.
God did a work knitting my heart to some of the women in the church this weekend. I've wanted, for so long, to find some women with whom I can relate and bond. I want those women who are older than I who can impart something into my life...and with whom I can have relationship. And I believe that I have found them.
I didn't sleep all that much...ok, pretty much not at all. When I finally fell asleep, police cars...three of them to be exact...went roaring down the boardwalk, hotels blaring, right outside our balcony. Our hotel was at the end of the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ, where the boardwalk is not that wide. It probably doesn't help that the doors to our balcony were open, but still. It scared the snot out of me.
I can't describe at length what God did in me. I believe that I will learn what He did as I live out the life that He has shown me will be. I am going to enjoy the fire moments, the dark room moments, the moments of laughter that makes my head hurt and my side cramp. In short, I am really learning to enjoy the daily living out of life.
Yes, I had my moments. I am fighting the whole Martha thing...and it is something that I will fight for a long time. There is a time to serve and a time to receive. I generally err on the side of doing too much, and when I do, I get snippy. I lose the blessing involved, and other people get snipped.
But, you know what? I'm learning. I'm learning to be vulnerable. I'm learning to be more teachable. And more than anything, I'm enjoying getting to know my Saviour through the amazing women (and men) that He has brought into my life.
But for now: it's sleepy time.

2 comments:

Chill Pastor said...

As I get older, (not old) I see the value of sitting and listening to older people...there is a lot of wisdom to be gained by just slowing down long enough to take in some good "relationship" time....Let the "Mary" come out of you...

BTW...Good luck to New England tomorrow....

Deneen said...

It's funny that you said "Let the Mary come out of you." My pastor's wife Beth today renamed me and my friend and said that we are now the "Mary-s" of the church.