Sunday, October 29, 2006

Halloween in the Park

Today our church went to Voorhees Township's Halloween in the Park. It seemed like such a small undertaking. The township did not know how many people to expect. I am happy to say that we all underestimated. Honestly, I completely underestimated today. I will not say that I had low expectations for the outreach or from the people that we had there. I can't say that I had low expectations of what God would do. But, what I did not expect was the immediacy of the return on what we had invested. We reached a whole bunch of people in a really short amount of time. We did not engage in a theological debate over eschatology or the God-head or Jesus. In fact, I don't know that any of us mentioned the name of Jesus. What we did instead was present the people of Voorhees the face of Jesus, the hand of Jesus, the smile of Jesus. We gave out some cookies that smelled fantastic (and I'm sure tasted pretty good considering the number of chocolatey smiles that I saw.) We smiled at a whole lot of people, and joked around with quite a few along the way. We wowed people with how churchey we were not. For me, that alone is a successful day.

No comments: