Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Terrific Kid

Today my niece Isabella got an award from the Kiwanis Club in Woodbury. (She's the one in the front of the picture.) She was named one of her school's Terrific Kids. The Kiwanis honor two children from each grade who help in the classroom, who do their homework, who add to the overall community of the school. I had the opportunity to attend the ceremony.

I have to admit. When I left the house, I had a bit of an attitude. It's not that I don't love the kids, but one would think that their parents would make an effort to attend these events.

But, I got to thinking. Let's be honest. I don't know if I'm ever going to have kids. I don't know if I'm ever going to get married. (This is not a pity-me post...I'm fine with not getting married and not having kids if that is what God would prefer.) But I have the opportunity to be a part of my niece and nephews' lives on a daily level. What other aunt goes to every little league game, choir and band concert, kindergarten graduation, pre-school plays? Not too many.

As I was walking home, God reminded me of this scripture in Isaiah 54:1.
"Sing, O barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
burst into song, shout for joy,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband,"
says the LORD.

Looking at my life, I do have more children than just about anyone who has given birth. It is a privilege to know so many people, and to love them as I do.

So, I am the aunt to three Terrific Kids, even though only one received the official honor this month. And I count myself blessed!

No comments: